Mums who just went through childbirth need time off to rest and recuperate from labour. This postpartum practice is called confinement and entails new mummies staying at home for 30 to 40 days to recover and get used to the beginning of their journey in motherhood.
During this period, they’ll need the help of a confinement nanny in Singapore to assist in caring for their baby and themselves as they heal from pregnancy.
Confinement nannies are not all made equal, so how do you choose the right one for you and your baby’s needs?
Consider the 5 tips below on how to achieve just that.
1. Look for a confinement nanny from a trusted agency
As with any other service, it’s best to only rely on a reputable provider. In this case, it’s a confinement nanny agency in Singapore that has been approved by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). It is best to avoid looking for an overseas agency as it’s challenging to file a complaint if something goes wrong.
One way to narrow your options is by asking friends and acquaintances who hired confinement nannies from agencies before and asking about their experience. Looking at online confinement nanny agency reviews is also an excellent option for an overall impression of a particular agency’s services.
By going with a trusted confinement nanny agency in Singapore, you get a couple of significant advantages, such as:
- They can handle screening processes such as background checks, security, and previous work experience, so you can rest assured that your nanny is qualified for the job.
- The ability to interview your potential confinement nanny directly. Simply looking at a profile isn’t enough to determine if they’re a suitable match. You can get a sense of their personality by directly interviewing them and deducing from their expressions.
2. Look for the necessary skills
Once you’ve settled on your confinement nanny agency of choice, the next step is to look for the necessary skills, such as:
- Postpartum care involves extensive knowledge of caring for the new mum and their baby. This includes their take on breastfeeding the child and how she would handle them in various situations, from feeding to bathing and putting them to sleep. This involves providing them with the right foods that promote good health and faster recovery for mums.
- Social skills are required to get along well with you, your baby, and the rest of your family. She should be positive, trustworthy, and exude a good presence in the home as she will be spending plenty of time around your loved ones.
3. Ask the right questions when interviewing a candidate
More often than not, confinement nanny agencies in Singapore allow you to directly interview their nannies to personally get to know them, build rapport, gauge their skills, and learn about their experience as a nanny. This step is critical as you will spend most of your time in confinement with the nanny you choose and entrusting them with your child.
Some of the topics to base your questions around should include:
- How many years of experience as a confinement nanny do you have?
- Are there any photos of your previous confinement meal creations?
- Are there any reviews or testimonials by former clients?
- Is it possible for me to break the confinement rule if I don’t like it?
- Are there any jobs lined up before and after my EDD?
- What job scopes do you typically assist with?
- What are your fees, entry and exit (in and out) costs, and working periods?
- Are there any surcharges for additional services?
4. See if your values align and be transparent with your expectations
Just as you would ask them about their expectations for the job, likewise, convey yours and your preferred arrangement. You must let them know what you’d like regarding breastfeeding arrangements, grocery and meal preferences, and even the household chores they can assist with. This way, both parties can agree on the scope of the job.
Besides expectations, you should also see that your fundamental values align, even though you do not agree on everything. For instance, if you believe in breastfeeding, they should share the same view and avoid any issues during their service.
5. Responsiveness When Replying to Q&A
A confinement nanny in Singapore is usually very busy and will only respond to any queries you may have when they have free time. On the other hand, when you hire a nanny through a confinement agency in Singapore, you can expect prompt responses. Furthermore, an agency is typically well-versed in the business and can respond to most client inquiries.
Moreover, a nanny hired through an confinement nanny agency benefits from the organisation’s assistance. This means that if the nanny is unsure how to handle a situation, she can seek help from the confinement nanny agency. On the other hand, a freelance confinement nanny may have no one to turn to if she has a problem she can’t address.
The valuable help that confinement nannies can provide goes a long way in ensuring your confinement period goes smoothly and that you learn the fundamentals of caring for your little bundle of joy. But to get these benefits, one must first choose the right confinement nanny for their family. Hopefully, with the tips shared above, you now have a good idea of how to do just that.
NannyStreet, a leading confinement nanny agency in Singapore, connects you with the right nanny for your needs through our one-stop platform, allowing you to interview and negotiate your preferred arrangement. So, if you’re looking for the best confinement nanny or part time confinement nanny in Singapore for your family, don’t hesitate to reach out to us today to start your search and plan before the baby comes!